Thursday, March 27, 2014

Twitter catches up to photo sharing standard

I have always been a fan of Twitter and have made that very well known in my previous posts. In the initial stages Twitter did not attempt to take social media ideas from other popular sites like Facebook or Instagram. Instead, those sites adopted hashtags. However recently, Twitter took a few concessions and finally folded to the strengths of those sites.

Screenshot from mobile app.
Courtesy- Levi Warner (CC)
Twitter added the ability to tag other users in photos posted on the service. It is important to note that these tags do not count against the already brief 140 character limit. Up to 10 users can be tagged in a single photo and the service is going to add a feature that creates a 4-photo collage. You may recognize tagging as a Facebook innovation and the collage feature is one of the most popular functions on Instagram.

I think it's great that Twitter added these functions but I don't think I'll find them very useful. I only post photos on Twitter of immediate situations that I find humorous. I personally share photos such as my frozen pool photo or the time a semi got stuck on a side street near my house. Never group photos. I see the new features going unused in the foreseeable future.
###

-By: Levi Warner-

No comments:

Post a Comment